St Wilfrid’s Catholic Primary School took Voluntary Aided status from 1st September 1999. The school was founded in 1865 to serve the Catholic community and was situated in Witton Street, Northwich next to the Parish Church of St Wilfrid. In 1972 the school moved to the present site with extensions being opened in 1989, 1995 and 1998, as the school expanded in response to its growing popularity. Further major extensions were completed during 1999.
The school is set on the suburban fringe of Hartford village, on the outskirts of Northwich. It is situated in an attractive environment, the school is involved in a range of environmental developments. It is on a campus containing two primary schools, two high Schools, two special schools and a college of further education.
The Religious Life of the School
The school operates as a caring Christian community. The Religious and Spiritual development of the child is our core activity and takes place through Mass, daily prayer and the development of the Catholic ethos.
Religious Education is taught through the "The Way, The Truth and The Life". In parallel to this is a programme to develop all aspects of personal relationships including RSE. Both of these operate within the framework of the Catholic Faith and recognise that parents are the constant teachers of the child. The school recognises that faith is 'caught' and ‘taught’.
Mass is celebrated in school on a regular basis, either as a group or as a school. Each day begins and closes with prayers whether in the form of assembly or within each class. During May and October all children learn about the Rosary. In Lent we focus daily on one of the Stations of the Cross. Simple Advent Services are held at the end of the day in preparation for the Christmas Season. There is no provision for the withdrawal of children from Religious Education or Celebrations.